Wednesday 12 June 2013

Tenor Ukulele and the second firewood special

Here is a bit of a depature from my usual cigar box guitars and customised and solid body jobs yes it's a proper hollow bodied tenor ukulele.
It is for a commission and it was originally going to be a cigar box guitar which it actually turned out to be. Unfortunately for some reason I decided to put an angle on the neck to body joint and miscalculated it somewhat. I ended up with a bridge saddle that was nearly an inch high. looked ridiculous and was leaning over due to the string tension. There was no other option but to give up. After a bit of a discussion with the customer we decided to build a new body. so I didn't want to just build a standard shape so decided on a funky shape not a million miles away from a box but hopefully with a bit more comfort and a better sound.






 
Also on the table is the second fire wood special. This one is based around an acoustic guitar neck I bought of ebay. When I got it I thought I had made an error as it was a right mess but always up for a challenge It's a bit more complex and refined than the first Firewood special but I am still building it to be a slide guitar 6 strings and I am trying out ernie ball beefy slinky (11 - 54's) for extra growl in open D.
Also it will be fitted out with 2 Humbuckers and gold Hardware. I like the fact that on first glance it looks like some super expensive boutique guitar but then you look closer and realise it's made from bits of old furniture and various offcuts.
Pictures to come soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment