Friday 22 June 2012

New Cigar box Ukulele project.

I've started to make my first Cigar box Ukulele. and it's going along swimmingly. I made a couple of  Uke neck blanks out of Mahogany last year so it was about time..

I had an old block of Wenge that I got from a retiring wood turner that I have used for the fingerboard. I was really pleasantly  surprised at the amazing grain pattern when I planed it does have quite deep open grain though but I can't envisage this been a problem. Sealing will fill it to some extent.


 I also made some really nice fret position markers. I had some thin aluminium tubing lying around from a big plastic model kit of the International space station that got broken beyond repair many years ago. The tubing was to re-enforce the structure. I made up a dowel from a thin strip of Wenge just a little bigger than the internal diameter of the tube and hammered it into the tube. then I cut small segments of the tube. gave each side a little rub down with 320 grit sandpaper and hey presto custom markers. The segments  feature the end grain of the wenge which looks like a leopard skin pattern in miniature. I made two to cover up the screw holes in the bridge also.


I've also made a nice little bridge out of Australian Walnut from the same source as the Wenge.




I ought to make bridges like this for my cigar box guitars. any how another build on the roster.



No comments:

Post a Comment