Saturday 9 June 2012

Bass Guitar From a Beech Kitchen worktop

I have only made one Bass so far. (The upright one from an old wardrobe that is still unfinished)
So when I was looking at my pile of collected wood I saw a sizable piece of beech block kitchen worktop and thought why not turn it into a bass. I have a nice neck from an old Aria P bass copy to use.
My original intention was to make a Basic slab type body but then my creativity got the better of me.

Here is the initial attack with chisel and router.


After a bit more sanding and chiseling

And a bit more sanding and chiseling

And yet more sanding

And more sanding. The body is Almost finished. A few scratch marks and a couple of bumps to sand out. Then fine sand seal More! sanding then I can get some lacquer on it. I really like the pale colour of the Beech. It's very skin like which suits its feminine curves really well. Although By the time It's had sealer and lacquer it will look like it's had a slight tan.


I've ordered a new bridge and tuning machines as the used ones I have in my spares box just don't seem worthy enough now I've put so much effort into it.
Most basses have their bridges almost at the end of the body to make the overall length smaller and keep the weight down. This fact hadn't occured to me  as I sketched this one out I was thinking along guitar proportions So it's got quite a big bottom! However I quite like! it so I'm sticking with it. I think it will be quite nicely balanced as the beech isn't too heavy and it feels very comfortable with all those contours.

No comments:

Post a Comment