Saturday 21 June 2014

Introducing the ShonKy Novus. designed and handbuilt in the UK

If you read this blog regularly you may remember my Novus prototype..  I didn't post it but I made another one for myself with locally scourced ash and a zebrano top. Ebony fretboard with stainless steel frets and square fret markers.

 It turned out quite nicely although I don't think I'll do the square fret markers again as they are very hard to get straight being so small.

Anyway I have now built the first commercially available model which is a bit more simple with a solid and heavy Ash Body (none of that poncey swamp ash!)  22 fret flame maple and rosewood neck
and 2 p90's. This is designed as a workhorse guitar for the gigging musician. although the body is quite heavy it is also a bit smaller than an average guitar so the weight is kept down. You may notice that that the bridge is set quite far back on the body. (Not so much on my own model above as it had 24 frets and 25" scale.)
It has simple 2 pickup layout with 3 way switch and 1 volume and 1 tone control.
The pickups I decided on where Wilkinsons with the aim to keep the selling cost down and still offer a decent quality.
The Bridge is a Gotoh hardtail and the Machine heads are great quality Korean locking tuners.

The finish is a very thin antique tobacco burst and will wear nicely. nothing worse than having a new guitar with a thick shiny lacquer finish then putting a dint in it. Also if popular belief is true a thin finish is better for tone. so here it is in all it's glory and for sale right now on my newly opened Etsy shop. Here




It is signed dated and numbered 001.
 No 2 is on it's way as we speak and will feature a P90/ strat size single coil/ P90 layout which will be interesting.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment