Sunday 16 March 2014

ShonKy Mako Prototypes. Ergonomic guitar

I have been working on this design for three years now. This one is the 4th prototype the second of which is fully functional.
Unlike most "ergonomic" guitars which are designed to be played in a set position, the Mako is very comfortable in the casual seated position the classical (With footstool) position and also hanging on a strap. The other criteria was that it also had to look good you might think ergonomic guitars look good but for the most I think they generally look ugly and sacrifice aesthetics for comfort. For me it's kind of like eating food if it looks good you are already half way there to enjoying eating it.
  I have concentrated on weight saving for this incarnation it has a very slim (29mm) and contoured body. and a minimal headstock. It was originally intended for a bolt on neck but as the body was so thin I felt it would be better as a set neck so the neck is screwed and glued which isn't the tidiest but the next one will have this aspect more refined.
  I've also treated this one to a retro style paintjob of translucent candy apple burst. which is nice and thin showing the texture of the ash. There is a knot showing this is actually a book matched ash body but the other half is mostly under the pick guard so the effect is lost. I should have had the book match on the rear! Although it a fairly radical and new design I'm aiming for it to still look like it has been around a while so two dog ear style pickups are fitted. This reduces the amount of routing required Just enough for the pole piece screws underneath)  Thus retaining as much solid wood as possible. It was only destined to have a small control plate but then I had the brainwave of making a large scratch guard / control plate. which I believe really enhances the retro look.




 
I am selling the 3rd prototype which was made around this time last year It has a much thicker Sapele Body and a HSS set up with different scratchplates and a slightly different body shape with no countours.  It's on EBAY






 

No comments:

Post a Comment