Sunday 24 February 2013

ShonKy S3. custom black and white Strat

For a long time I have wanted to make a guitar inspired by the aesthetic quality of 2001 a space odyssey. I think with the S3 I have come quite close.












 
I actually found the necks for sale and thought oh yes! it has to be done. The only thing was I was not going to get away with using recycled parts. It is about time a made a nice spanking new guitar anyway a change is as good as a rest they say.  
The hardest thing was to find pickups to suit the look of the guitar. I first thought Lace Alumitones but that would have pushed the build price too high and I would have to be selling near £900. I then thought maybe lipstick pickups. Although I love them they have a not entirely accurate "Surf" tag I then found these awesome looking pickups from http://www.voltageguitarpickups.com/ They are the Chaos model and are hand wound from 5.8 - 6.2k  They are odd pickups. The covers are bonded on to the main body but looking from the bottom there are is no magnet on the bottom or any pole pieces. I assume the magnet is on top of the coil just below the mesh. any way they sound as good as they look. Not particularly stratty but wonderfully clear and pure without being sterile.
The bridge and tuning machines are courtesy of Wilkinson.
 
It is now for sale on My Website for £590 With an Aluminium Hard case and Free UK postage!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment