Monday 24 October 2011

Banjo ukulele

I've finished the Tambolele banjo ukulele banjolele call it what you will.
Total cost about £20. and about 4 hours work.
It's a bit rough as I just wanted to get it done and not spend to much time on the finish but because I was rushing I got the holes in the peg head wrong so had to fill and re-drill and paint the headstock to cover it up. The painting didn't go too well either. . It should have 12 frets but I didn't take into account the rim of the drum so had to cut the fret board a bit short so now it only has 11. However taking all that into account it actually sounds pretty damn good. I will try and sort out a recording of it so I can put a sound file up.
Any way here's the pics.
Taking the Tambourine apart. Pretty easy. the pins that hold the jingles in place just pull out.
Making the neck.
The neck was just made from some scrap Mahogany. I made a fret board from a Beli off cut and fretted it. I have now invested in a fretsaw as doing it with a coping saw was working OK it just takes too long and can quite easily go wrong.

The neck is shaped. I have cut a block to go either end of the hoop.
These are the only Construction photo's I have the rest are the finished item.





I made the neck quite chunky as a normal soprano I find too thin to play comfortably.


The nut and tuners are from a damaged Cheap ukulele I got in a job lot of spares or repair instruments many moons ago. I made the Bridge and fashioned a (Very Rustic) Tail piece from some sheet Aluminium. I almost wished I spent a bit more time on it. I am in the process of making two concert scale cigar box ukes.

No comments:

Post a Comment