Friday 26 July 2013

ShonKy Old Red. Retro roadworn guitar with parker pickups.

ShonKy Old Red

 

The Old red was born from an old handmade body and an Ibanez neck.

The body is made from what looks like a Mahogany type of wood but it is pretty light so not your standard mahogany. Originally It was shaped like a bloated Les Paul. The neck it came with was like a tree trunk and not very good. It was also attached with 6 bolts and the neck pocket extended out another 2 inches. All I did was reshape the upper horn to give it a more aggressive look and convert it for through body stringing.
 
 
It was stripped of it's original finish sealed and re-finished with a thin transparent cherry with a gloss poly top coat Due to the wear on the original body a nice clean finish was never going to look right so I gave it a nice road worn finish.





 
The neck is a re-furbished Ibanez neck. It came to me in a pretty molested state with the headstock cut down and lots of scratches and dents. I tidied the headstock into the sculpted shape and stripped the neck down to the bare wood sanding the dents and scratches out. There are some very light marks left as I didn't want to go too far.  It has then been sealed and lacquered with gloss poly.
 


 
The Hardware is all re-used. Standard hard tail strat style bridge with sealed Tuners
The knobs are the ones that came with the guitar and it is equipped with 100k pots
 
The scratch plate and and other front plate and truss rod cover are all custom made. (the plate under the bridge is there mainly to hide previous holes that have been filled and an odd trapezoidal inlay.
The control cavity cover is aluminium and is the original one for the guitar.
The neck plate is adapted from the original hence it looking a little untidy but it does the job fine.
 

 
I wasn't sure about the 100k pots with humbuckers but I am very pleased with the result. It's sounds like a proper garage rocker very bright and jangly especially for humbuckers.
 
I also think I have inadvertently wired them up in phase (Or out) as with both selected you get that slight nasal tone with loads of harmonics.
Very pleased with this one (I know I usually say that) It's a lot better and nicer looking than I thought it could be. It kind of has a Gibson / Burns love child thing going on.  It also plays superbly and sounds great. It's such a pity I'm so poor at the moment I have to sell it. otherwise it would be a keeper. One day I will own a guitar I have made ha ha.

3 comments:

  1. I'm delighted to have just bought this on eBay, and for a slightly bargainous price, it having been labelled simply "electric guitar" on the listing... Can't wait to have a play on it. Looks a proper work of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost exactly 3 years old. It's good to revisit. I was quite fond of this one.

      Delete
  2. I could tell from your blogpost :-)

    Package has just arrived at the parcel depot today. Off to collect it and will report back on how its doing once I've had the opportunity to give it a strum...

    ReplyDelete