Thursday 20 September 2012

Wesley Zephyr


 


Check out my latest acquisition.







It's a Wesley Zephyr.
Wesley where a company that sold budget guitars on Ebay for about 10 years. but are no longer in business. John Wesley is still operating a guitar tech business.
From what I can gather they seem to have been reasonably good quality for the prices they went for.

I saw this one on sale on Ebay a few weeks back and I just HAD to have it. 
Having found no information about it I wrote to John Wesley at Wesley Guitars who kindly replied telling me this is one of "about" 12 they did as a test run but never proved to be very popular.

I have also found out they did another model called the Doppler. (pictured below) which had the same body shape but with 2 humbuckers a standard hard tail strat style bridge and a less snazzy Scratch plate.
Wesley Doppler Metallic Surf Green Electric Guitar

It plays as good as it looks. It's very comfortable and easy to play. It has a slim neck with a very flat radius. The Pickups deliver in every respect. I haven't had it apart yet but will do when I change the strings. If the pick-ups allow it I might install some push pull pots for coil tap and phase options.
It's also a very well made guitar. The Inlays are Tidy The neck socket is tight and the whole guitar feels solid and resonant. There are a few flaws in the paint work like some bubbles and a touched up bit in the carved ledge just above the bridge which isn't very noticeable and seeing as they where test models one can forgive them of these shortcomings.

I love it. I'm chuffed to bits I have a very rare guitar (for peanuts) and I'm going to have to sell something else to make room for it! (I only have room for 8 personal guitars at a time. I don't need any more as I always have guitars I'm making or refurbing and customers guitars in for setups and repair so as a guitar lover I'm generally satisfied.

Update 27/03/2013 I have now sold this on. (I'm going to regret it.)

 

2 comments:

  1. One of those rare beasts, the Zephyr, is up for grabs on eBay right now at a BUY IT NOW price of £195. Have to say it caught my eye. I like Wesleys and I also like First Act electrics - much under rated guitars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and here's the eBay link:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-WESLEY-ZEPHYR-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-IN-SUPERB-CONDITION-/381761799068?hash=item58e2c6c39c:g:JvgAAOSw8oFXzvbl

    ReplyDelete