Friday 24 August 2012

ShonKy cigar box ukulele No2.

I have the second cigar box ukulele up for sale on my website.
It's a much improved design. slightly slimmer neck (but still much chunkier than standard)
I went back to using a disc piezo rather than a rod as it's much better. If you had a preamp then a rod would be great but that would mean putting an ugly plastic unit into it and totally ruining the aesthetic.

I went for a plain mahogany box this time and re-visited the multihole sound hole I used in This cigar box guitar. I echoed the largest sound hole by putting a little wave at the end of the finger board.

I have also been trying out a water based poly satin  clear coat as I really can't justify using aerosol cans as they are massively wasteful. It does mean I have to brush it on and I thought It would suffer from brush marks. To my surprise it is really easy to apply, no brush marks and it gives a nice very hard finish and very quick curing time. It does suffer from tiny air bubbles which collect in ridges and  joins but these can be sanded out once hardened.

It is available for sale on The ShonKy Website











 
 
Production is again on hiatus but this time due to the arrival of our baby daughter. :-)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment